Looking for a festive treat that's healthy and delicious? Well, look no further! We are celebrating Hari Raya with this plant-based, vegan recipe for Ondeh Ondeh Cupcakes made using HerbYvore Plant Protein. Your guests will enjoy this healthier twist to a traditional flavour, and you'll be especially proud of yourself for making this protein packed guilt-free dessert.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 180 g HerbYvore protein block, crumbled
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2/4 cup dairy free milk
- ¼ cup pandan juice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup palm sugar
- 1 ½ cup shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp water
- A pinch of salt
- 3 - 4 pandan leaves (tied into a knot)
Method for coconut filling
- Combine water, pandan leaves and palm sugar into a pan and turn on the heat.
- Mix well and allow it to melt completely.
- Add in salt and the shredded coconut.
- Mix them well and cook for 10 mins on medium heat.
- The mixture is ready once it becomes sticky.
- Turn of the heat, remove the pandan leaves, scoop out the mixture to a bowl and leave it to cool.
- Once cool, shape mixture into little balls.
Method for the cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a food processor
- Add in crumbled HerbYvore plant protein block and process it for 30 seconds. The mixture will feel and look grainy.
- In another bowl mix all the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and give it a good mix till well combined.
- Fill a pipping bag with the cake mixture.
- Fill half the cupcake liners with the cake mixture, fill in with the coconut mixture ball and top it up with some more of the cake mixture. Repeat the same for the rest.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 15 mins or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cupcake from oven and leave it to cool.
- Garnish it with some shredded coconut and some coconut whipped cream and enjoy!
Try it today, You'll love this sustainably delicious treat!