A modern take on the traditional delicacy, pav bhaji! AND IT’S VEGAN!
Make your favourite bhaji recipe or follow the one below!
1 tbsp vegan butter
1 tsp cumin seed
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 potato, roughly chopped
½ cauliflower head, roughly chopped
½ cup water
⅓ cup peas
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 inch ginger piece, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp pav bhaji masala
1 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chili powder
½ tsp kasuri methi
Coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Boil carrot, potato and cauliflower in a pressure cooker with the water and 1 tsp salt for 2 whistles, and then roughly mash together.
- Make ginger-garlic paste with the ginger and garlic.
- In a saucepan, saute the cumin seeds, ginger-garlic paste and onions in vegan butter. Once the onions are translucent, add the tomatoes, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, pav bhaji masala, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Saute for 2 minutes to cook the spices.
- Add the mashed vegetables from the pressure cooker to the saucepan. Check for salt and add salt accordingly. Add kasuri methi here as well. Mix well to combine.
- Add the peas at the very end of the cooking stage to retain the vibrant green colour. Garnish with more vegan butter and coriander leaves.
9 vegan bombay pav
1 onion, sliced,
1 block Herbyvore Pepper Paneer, crumbled
Masala garlic butter
(made by combining vegan butter, garlic powder and pav bhaji masala)
Vegan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200ºC
- Lay the bottoms of 9 pavs in a baking dish, and butter the surface with the garlic butter.
- Spread the bhaji made earlier, generously.
- Lay the onion slices generously over the bhaji, and then add the crumbled Herbyvore pepper paneer over top.
- Sprinkle some vegan cheese if desired.
- Put the tops of the pav on and brush generously with the garlic butter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes till golden brown and crispy.
- Squeeze the juice of ½ lemon over the tops just before serving.
Recipe by: Shreya Nair
- Combine all of the above and add cubed pea paneer
- Gently mix them together
- Put them in an air tight glass jar and leave it to marinate