Picture this: Juicy slices of baked eggplant acting as the perfect canvas for a playful dance of tangy herb-infused tomato sauce with melted 𝗛𝗲𝗿𝗯𝗬-𝗖𝗵𝗲𝗲𝘀𝗲 Mozzarella.
Recipe by Ania Lees, Plant-Based Nutritionist & Chef.
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1.5cm thick slices
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Fresh Basil chopped or 2 teaspoons of dried basil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 150g HerbYvore™ HerbY-Cheese Mozzarella
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Brush parchment paper with olive oil and arrange the eggplant slices on the sheet. Make sure they don't touch each other.
- Bake for 15 minutes
- In the meantime, core tomatoes and blend (with skin)
- Fry onion and garlic for 5 minutes, add blended tomatoes and simmer for approx. 25-30 minutes until the sauce thickens up.
- Season with balsamic vinegar, add chopped basil and cook for another 5 minutes
- Generously spread the tomato sauce over each slice of eggplant and sprinkle with Herby-Cheese Mozzarella
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until mozzarella just melts.
- It can be served either warm or cold.