Craving lasagne but wish for a healthier, yet tasty recipe? Try our recipe of vegan lasagne where we made a velvety white sauce with HerbY-Cheese Mozzarella and a veggie-loaded and flavour-packed red sauce. Instead of meat, we use loads of mushrooms for their nutritional content and umami notes. We used white mushrooms in this recipe and you can use any variety you like. Did you know that white mushrooms offer several health benefits, including cancer-fighting properties, cholesterol-lowering effects, and improved gut health. They are also very low in calories and have a high protein content.
Part of the fun in making lasagne is arranging the layers! Read on to learn how to put everything together, plus top it off with HerbY-Cheese Just Like Parme for an indulgent, dairy-free delight.
Recipe by Shalu Asnani of Little Green Kitchen.
- Olive oil for sautéing and greasing baking dish
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups oat milk
- 1 cup grated HerbY-Cheese Mozzarella
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Olive oil for sautéing
- 750g button and shitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely diced into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced into cubes
- 800g (2 tins) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 9 lasagna sheets
- 2 cups grated HerbY-Cheese Just Like Parme
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To make white sauce: Sauté flour in about 1 - 2 tbs olive oil for 2-3 minutes till it becomes a paste. Add oat milk, HerbY-Cheese Mozzarella, salt, garlic powder, black pepper and nutmeg. Simmer on low heat for 7-8 minutes till creamy. Add water as needed to adjust consistency. Set aside.
- To make red sauce: First sauté mushrooms (without oil) in a pan over high heat till browned. Set aside. Then, add oil to pan and sauté onion till fragrant. Add garlic and sauté on low heat. Add carrot and cook for 3 minutes till slightly soft, then add bell pepper. Add chopped tomatoes, water and sugar and simmer on low heat till slightly reduced, about 15 minutes. Season with salt, thyme and oregano.
- To assemble: grease a 13 inch by 9 inch baking dish with olive oil then start with a layer of white sauce. Add a layer of lasagna sheets then cover with 1⁄4 of the red sauce then chopped mushrooms followed by 3 Tbsp of HerbY-Cheese Just Like Parme. Repeat to make 3 more layers.
- Drizzle leftover white sauce and HerbY-Cheese Just Like Parme on the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden. Let it rest for 15 minutes then slice into squares and serve.
(extra red sauce can be kept in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to a month and is a great sauce for pastas)